Sunday, May 9, 2010

Delayed...

So, it looks like good ol' Mother Nature had different plans in store for us and our departure has been delayed until Monday morning, 9am.  The Captain decided that he didn't want our first days at sea to be in winds dropping around 30+ knots - mighty considerate of him, me thinks!  Wouldn't do for half our crew to be hanging over the lee-side of the ship feeding the crabs on the first day...  It goes something like this:  A low pressure system was bringing in winds from the west, which were the 30+ winds and then after that a second low pressure system was coming in from the south.  Given the fact that we are heading south, it would mean we would be heading directly into the wind.  Hmmm, that could make sailing a tad bit difficult.  Thus we had to wait.

We spent the last two days making the ship sea-worthy by lashing down absolutely everything that is on deck so that nothing moves about, stowing the last of the cargo, cleaning the warehouse, flipping smaller boats staying behind at the boat yard and securing the rigging.  Just before noon today our first mate, Mike, declared that we are now ready to sail.

Although anticipation is high and most of the crew are literally chomping at the bit to get going, I just figure it is what it is and it's all part of the adventure - plus it gives me one more "princess" night at a hotel.   What can I say?  I'm a chick!  I can play in tar with the best of them but I still like to clean up now and again. Plug time - if ever anyone is ever in Lunenburg, you HAVE to stay at the Lunenburg Arms.  It is the most charming place with WONDERFUL staff (who do my laundry for free) and great bathtubs!  And the beds are divine!  Hey, would LOVE to see a few of your mugs on June 18th, 2011 - that is the day we are scheduled to arrive in Lunenburg. Just saying...  Seriously though, I have caught nasty bug that has been making its way around the ship, and I desperately wanted a night where I could sleep in peace without my hacking keeping the rest of the salon awake.

Anyhow, it hit me yesterday just how real this all is. I was walking by the ship and the name on the bow caught my eye and it hit me like a ton of bricks - I am REALLY here and I am REALLY doing this.  Wow!  What a realization!  I can remember how just a few years ago my brother, Brendon, told me that I HAD to "check out this website of this ship that sails around the world" and so I did, thought it was amazing, and now here I am.  I never thought I'd do anything like this.  It really does blow my mind...  And I am so happy I'm here.  Bring on the adventure!

Follow along at http://www.picton-castle.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment