Thursday, May 6, 2010

And aweigh we go!

So, this will be the last post before we hit Panama, but the good thing is, I will now have more time to put a little more effort into my blog.  Thank you all for your patience! 

Saturday at 2pm, Atlantic Time, we are scheduled to weigh anchor and set sail with our first stop being Colon, Panama.  The excitement on board is high, along with a bit of nervousness as to what the next few weeks will entail.  Will we adjust to life at sea?  Will we learn our lines and duties without the Captain yelling at us? Will we survive without wanting to kill each other - okay, kill may be a little strong - how about seriously maim?  Will we get used to all the various nightly sounds in the salon...?  It is a virtual cacaphony of sounds - a few talkers, a few snorers, a few purrers and Lorraine's habitual "Oh God!" every morning as she tries to crawl out of her bunk.

This past week has been pretty much more of the same as the previous weeks, with a bit more "drilling" involved.  We've concentrated a lot on fire, man overboard and abandon ship drills, as well as sail handling drills, all in preparation for setting sail this coming Saturday.  Each crew member is assigned a specific duty for each drill, depending on what is required (fire equipment, going aloft for man overboard as a spotter, or bringing up immersion suits and provisions, etc).  My job for each is to do the final headcount to make sure that all are accounted for.  That means I get lifeboat number four... Sigh!  Four are really all we need, but we have six, as well as the skiff and the rowboat.  Yesterday we were evaluated by both Transport Canada (at our request) and the company insurance agents.  We do that to ensure that we are ready and properly prepared to sail.   We did a MOB drill which had the "dummy" into the rescue boat in just over 2 minutes.  Not too bad!  Picton Castle has been painted and shined and all prettied up in preparation for setting sail, although the work is pretty much continuous.  The lines are all rigged up, sails are up and stowed neatly and the yards uniformally squared.  I have to admit, she looks impressive!  All that is left is to finish loading supplies and cargo into the hold and secure.



On Saturday we had the afternoon off, given the fact that we actually hosted a wedding onboard.  The couple met on a previous voyage, fell madly in love and asked that the Captain (along with the Presbyterian Minister, who is also the Mayor) perform the ceremony.  We were all invited with the condition that we dress in true "Marlin Spike" attire - which is as crazy yet elegant (yeah, I raised my eyebrows at that one, too) as you can get.  However, we all got into the spirit with quite a bit of gusto!  Some of the costumes were very creative (tin-foil skirt), given that we were only given a few days to get prepared.  All I can say is, you gotta love the dollar store!  Marlin Spike is a random event that (usually) happens on Sunday afternoons.  It can include crazy, silly-yet-elegant dress or themed events with punch and popcorn.  I bought enough stuff at the dollar store to be prepared for any possibility.  I looked quite regal in my silver tiara, if I do say so myself!  It even lit up! (Don't even say it!)  I don't think some people quite got the "elegant" idea, but oh well...  A good time was had by all!
While everyone headed down to the "Dory Shop" for some nuptual celebrations and shenanigans, I decided to hang back and have something to eat.  I joined my friend, Fred (actually, his name is really Mike, but given that there are 4 Mike's on board and another soon to join, we decided to cal him Fred), his mother, Karla and her friend Bob, for dinner.  Being Saturday night, it was trivia night at the local pub and so we decided to stay and play.  Naturally we kicked butt - AGAIN!  And what do you suppose I should win?  Why, an Edmonton Oilers t-shirt and a frisbee! The frisbee I gave away, but the t-shirt I naturally kept.  Now I have a matching pen and shirt (yes, Andee, I still have the pen - I guard it with my life!).

We've now been divided into watches.  There are three watch schedules; 12-4, 4-8 and 8-12.  I have been put on the 8-12 watch, which means that I (and about 11others) am(are) on duty from 8am-12 noon and then again from 8pm until midnight.  The hours in between are mine to so with as I please, be it sleep, read, write in my blog, etc.  I was actually hoping to get that shift, so I am very happy! It does change in port, but I will write more about that when we get back into port and I understand how it works a little better.

Physically, I think I'm starting to adjust.  I feel much stronger already (you should see my pipes!), and my endurance has increased.  My hands are actually a bit cleaner, although now they are laced with splinters and cuts and chunks of skin out of my knuckles and even a blood blister due to rope burn!  Easing the braces is not as easy as I thought it would be!  My knees seem to be perpetually bruised, and there are bruises in places I didn't think could be bruised!  But it's all good.  It's all part of the adventure.  The bottom line is, I laugh a lot, I'm learning a lot and I've already made some true lifelong friends.

Until Panama,
A Bientot!

ps:  Kash, I promise I will post pictures of Chibley and my bunk, but it will have to wait.  Sorry, Sweetie!

No comments:

Post a Comment