Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Geting Ready to Set Sail

So the past week and a bit has been incredibly busy with preparations for setting sail.  I painted, primed, rowed,  learned to splice lines and whip (bind) the ends, and climbed up 2/3rds of the way up the main mast to help attach a block and tackle.  I still have yet to go up to the first yard, given that I'm not so keen on heights, but I'm confident I'll get there in time.  So far, though, I've been busy learning ( literally) the ropes on the main deck.

I was also put on the safety team, which was three of us responsible for sorting, and taking inventory of all safety gear such as immersion suits and pfd's.  We also went through all of the provision cannisters that are put into each lifeboat.  We had to make sure all of the gear was up to date and still in good shape.  We are well equipped in the event of any emergency,  I can assure you!  We went though emergency first response training and fire safety and training.   Next week we start safety drills such as man overboard and lifeboat drills.

This week we actually "bended sails" - meaning we began to attach them to their respective yards.  I was put to work on the fore topmast staysail. We carried the sail from the warehouse to the deck and then furled it nice and neatly and secured it with marlin hitches to keep the grommets in place.  The grommets are where we attach the sail to the hanks that are used to raise it along the halyard.  Then we had to carry it out onto the bowspit in order to attch it to the fore mast.  The bowspit is the part that juts out over the water at the very front ot the ship.  This is called the "head rig".  In order to work out there you must be harnessed in for safety.  My specific task was called "hanking".  Hanks are steel rings, kind of in the shape of horseshoes with rings on the ends, that are lashed through the grommets around the halyard and onto the sail.  I shared the task with Joanna and Rebecca - the third mate.  It was cool to see the sail raised after we were finished and know that our little part played a role in it.

On Sunday I was on galley and ship watch, which meant I had to stay on board all day until our watch was relieved the next morning.  But, being Sunday, breakfast isn't served until 9am, so I was able to sleep in a bit.  On Sunday's Donald has the day off so we are responsible for preparing the meals, as well as serve them.  Thankfully one of my fellow trainees was a restaurant cook for 20 years and so he took over and did a fantastic job.  Once meals are over it's pretty relaxing and so I spent the bulk of my day working on my lanyards. 

Each of us is required to wear a "rig" which consists of a knife and marlin spike - which is exactly what it sounds like.  It is a big spike that can be used for a variety of purposes, but it mostly comes in handy untying difficult knots.  Both are worn in a sheath attached to a belt, but they also must be tied on to prevent them from falling when using them aloft.  The last thing anyone wants is a long knife falling ten stories to the deck below.  That "string" is called a lanyard.  Mine is done in a 4 strand sennet, meaning that I "braided" it using 4 strands of twine for strength.  I used blue and white thread to make it pretty, but soon it will be covered in tar - sigh!  At least it looks nice now.   Actually, nothing is allowed aloft unless it has a lanyard - that includes everything from lipbalm to sunglasses.

Today we hauled up the Mizzen topmast, which is situated on the quarter deck. The Mizzen (like the main and fore sails) is like 3 long poles attached to one another climbing upward and the topmast is the very top part of the mast. It was pretty neat to see it being hauled up using only man power and lines. The ship is now starting to look like a working tall ship. Tomorrow we are hoping to raise and cross the final two yards - the T'gallant (or Top Gallant) and the Royal. We will then bend those sails, and Picton Castle will be ready to take to the high seas.


As well, we've been busy continuing to load the hold. Today the food stores started to arrive, so we formed a long chain gang from the dock to the deck of the ship and down into the hold. It's unreal just how much food we will be taking with us, but from the looks of it we will eat well. Donald, our Granadian cook does a fantastic job!  Sigh, to which my expanding waistline can attest...  Well, we do work it off.

Due to the fact that we were delayed getting into dry dock, we have rescheduled our departure date for the 8th of May, returning sometime in July of 2011.  There is an air of impatience among some of the trainees - we are so anxious to get going and get the show on the road!  But, it will be here before we know it...

3 comments:

  1. Very Interesting Tammy ! I feel lazy when I read all that you've done .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tam, boy you sure will be in shape by the end of this voyage...ha!ha! wish I was there too!!! Are you going to put together a photo album? would be awesome to see more pictures :))

    Take Care Sis... looking forward to following you on your amazing adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard there is a way to link flickr with blogger so I can post an album - I'll keep you posted...

    ReplyDelete