So, some of you might be wondering what ship life is actually like, aside from the work we do. Let me try to explain. Picton Castle is about 180 feet long from bow to stern (front to back), with 3 somewhat distinctive structures.
Towards the back of the ship, also known as "aft", there is what is known as the super structure. That houses the chart room, the captain's mess (dining area) and quarters, as well as the first mate and engineer's quarters and a head (bathroom) with a small tub/shower. Behind that is the scullery, kind of like a mini kitchen, where the crew does the dishes and condiments, cutlery, dishes and snacks are held. Down below that is what is known as the "Bat cave" where about 8-10 of the younger girls are housed. Behind the superstructure, on the main deck, is the "aloha deck". That's where the entrance to the scullery is. There are also benches, Chibley's litter box, a food locker, a coffee, tea and juice station and outside sinks to rinse dishes before washing them. When the weather is nice our meals are setup buffet-style back there, as well. It is a place that people are allowed to hang out during their off-time. Along the sides is called the breezeway and on the port side is also another small "outside" head. On top of the superstructure, known as the quarter deck, is the bridge, The helm, the lifeboats as well as pins that hold the lines to the main mast. The quarter deck covers the aloha deck below.
In front of the superstructure is the area know as midships. This is where the giant hatch to the hold is located, as well as the main mast and where most of the time mustering takes place. In front of that is the building which houses galley and the entrance to the salon below. Going down the steps to the salon, on the right hand side (or starboard side) is the head (with a shower) and to the left (port side) are two bunks, one on top of the other. Down each side are two rows of bunks, 8 per side. In front of them are benches that span the width of the bunks, with small hatches that contain our personal gear. There is surprisingly a lot of storage because it extends underneath each bunk which is about 3 feet wide and 6 feet long, although some are longer. This is where I live, in bunk #35 (top bunk), to be precise. The salon is actually quite nice inside, with varnished walls and balinese carvings. There are four long tables, 2 per side, where we all sit and eat when the weather isn't very nice or just hang out in the evenings. Each bunk has a light, curtains for privacy, and a long storage cubby down the side for your personal belongings. Latched to the ceiling is my pfd (personal floatation device) attached with what we call rotton cotton - string that will break easily when pulled. I've also added a bunk hammock that contains most of my clothes, a mirror, baskets which I've screwed into the wall, and hooks to hang miscellanious items, such as my flashlight, waterbottle, face cloth and towel. I can't quite sit up without hunching over, but with two pillows, I can comfortably read. I'm really only there to sleep, so it's not too bad. And by the time I go to bed, I'm so knackered that even the sounds and snores of other people don't really bother me! I sleep like a baby, and wake up feeling pretty well rested.
Behind the stairs to the salon, is the entrance to the hold which goes a long way aft. Is it full with all kinds of supplies needed to conduct such a long voyage, and by the time we set sail, will be full to the brim with supplies.
Moving forward from the salon, is a watertight door that leads to the fore peak, better known at the "bro cave". That is where about 8 - 10 young men are housed.
Moving back on deck, behind the galley is the foc'sle or "fore castle". In between is the fore mast, some benches and apparently the area where people go to get out of the scrutiny of the captain and mate. Located on the starboard side, main deck of the foc'sle is the paint locker - which stores all of the painting supplies. Inside the foc'sle is where the pro crew have their bunks, as well as the carpenter's station. There is also a ladder that goes down to the bro cave. On top of the foc'sle is the a deck where the anchor winch (which is "pumped") is located, as well as pins that hold the lines to the fore mast. There is also a capstan (which is pushed in a circle), which can be used instead of the winch. I don't know why, yet. And there you have the Picton Castle. You can find a diagram of her on the Picton Castle website.
So far I think I've settled in quite nicely, but just when I think my body is beginning to adjust to the various taskes they have for us the introduce something new. Today it was rowing. We each got a turn to row around in the boat that will mainly used for our shore trips. It takes 4 people per side, plus a person to steer and give directions - in this case the mate, Mike, to instruct in the correct way of doing things. It's kinda confusing at first because I'm actually facing the back of the boat to row it forward. I kept having a "Tammy" moment, which is kinda like a blonde moment, except I'm not really blonde anymore and I'm also trying to be somewhat politicaly correct. When everyone else was rowing backward, I was trying to row forward. Sigh... It was quite embarrassing, although I learned in due time. But man, Is it hard on the arms! The oars are really heavy and cumbersome to maneouver.
I've also come to the acceptance that my hands will never truly be clean again. well, not until some time after this voyage is complete, me thinks! I spent the better part of today working at assembling the "rigging". That is what is used to attach and control our sails. First, we had to haul it out of the hold - after I spent the bulk of yesterday putting it into the hold. Most of it is wire rigging, that has been oiled and tarred to preserve it and prevent it form rusting. I was given the job of oiling and tarring it again. Bythe time I was finished, I had oil and tar on my face, all over my hands, in my hair and definitely all over my brand new Carhartt's. At least they look WELL broken in!
Yesterday morning, I was using the "outside head"" to brush my teeth and do my "business" and, wanting to be sure I used it correctly, I dilligently read the instructions. "Open both valves, to add water to the bowl"... Okay, not so diificult, must be these two valves right in front of me. Good news is I discovered another shower on board. Bad news is, I wasn't really looking to have a shower at that precise moment. :-(
Anyway, that is some of the fun things going on in my life at the moment....
Tuesday, April 20, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

In between is the fore mast, some benches and apparently the area where people go to get out of the scrutiny of the captain and mate.
ReplyDeleteha ha tammy thought mating wasn't allowed! 14 months hmm long enough time to find out if the rule was broken in the first 5 months! ;)
Deck fluff
On a more serious note, you have sure learned a lot and I am very proud of my old crew. Miss a lot and so excited for you. RN
ReplyDeleteHa ha deck fluff! That would be the first mate I was refering to, not the act of... :-P
ReplyDelete